Be A Member Representative
Credit unions are unique, not-for-profit, cooperative financial institutions owned by their members. These same members are eligible to fill volunteer positions that play important roles in guiding Atlantic Financial Federal Credit Union’s success. We are always looking for dedicated volunteers from within our membership to help serve in a variety of volunteer capacities. Such active, enthusiastic volunteers are needed to maintain a healthy, progressive credit union.
A DESIRE TO SERVE
PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE
INTEGRITY AND COMMITTMENT
As a volunteer you’ll be a representative voice for your fellow members, and have a direct impact in the overall direction of the credit union. It is a great way to become part of a unique organization that affects the financial lives of thousands of members.
To be a credit union volunteer requires a desire to serve, a commitment of time, a willingness to learn, integrity, and the discipline to carry out the specific duties. Some basic expectations of a credit union volunteer are:
- A belief in and desire to nurture the credit union philosophy of “people helping people”
- A willingness to attend and participate in meetings, which could be once a month or once a quarter depending on the role
- An understanding of and/or willingness to learn about the credit union operations and movement
- The desire to be a team player to lead the credit union’s success
- To at all times, act in the best interest of the members and the credit union
Become A Member Volunteer
We always welcome the interest and support of our members wanting to get involved here at Atlantic Financial Federal Credit Union. While the timing of any immediate openings and roles will vary, we encourage any member interested to share their interest with us. It is helpful to have a pipeline of interested members to reach out to when volunteer roles need to be filled.
We are currently looking for members to volunteer on our Supervisory Committee.
Supervisory Committee Functions
In accordance with the Federal Credit Union Act, the Supervisory Committee is comprised of volunteer members and functions completely independently of Credit Union management.
AFFCU’s Supervisory Committee is responsible for ensuring that the Credit Union’s Board of Directors and management establish practices and procedures to properly safeguard members’ assets. In addition, the Committee is responsible for the annual financial statement audit from a licensed, independent auditor.
Some of the main responsibilities of the Supervisory Committee include:
- Directing internal audit activities to ensure Credit Union records are prepared accurately
- Verifying whether internal controls, policies and procedures are maintained and followed
- Monitoring performance to ensure that officials are carrying out the duties for which they are responsible
The Supervisory Committee meets once per quarter, with one or two supplemental meetings on occasion throughout the year.
If you’re interested in joining the Supervisory Committee, or volunteering on any level to support AFFCU, please submit your interest along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Is Eligible To Serve?
To be eligible for a volunteer position, a candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must be a member in good standing of Atlantic Financial Federal Credit Union.
- Must not be a family member or significant other of any Atlantic Financial Federal Credit Union employee or volunteer
- Must pass background checks and qualify for bonding.
- Must agree to a credit check
- Must have no felony convictions or pending felony charges.
- Must sign a confidentiality agreement if selected.