Why choose Atlantic Financial Federal Credit Union?
As a not-for-profit institution, you as a member and partial credit union owner are at the center of everything we do. Rather than pocket profits, they're returned to you in the form of higher rates on deposits, lower rates on loans, and convenient, budget-friendly account management tools. The benefits of being an Atlantic Financial Federal Credit Union member start with the benefits of a credit union. Credit Unions and banks offer the same types of consumer products and services, but that is the only similarity between them.
Credit Unions: Different! Better!
- FOR MEMBERS – NOT FOR-PROFIT! Credit unions are not-for-profit financial cooperatives, where each member is actually a part-owner. That's why we are adamant about calling you a member, and not a customer!
- We believe in, and diligently follow, the credit union motto of "People Helping People." We adhere to this principle in all decision making and direction to remain 100% focused on helping our members achieve their financial goals.
- We are democratic, where members have voting rights with each member getting one vote. Our Board of Directors is elected by and made up of our members.
- No shareholders to pay, like at for-profit banks. Profits made at a credit union are paid back to you in the form of higher savings rates, lower lending rates, and occasional member dividend bonuses. This keeps our focus on you, not the earnings of outside investors.
- Savings are federally insured by NCUA, keeping your funds safe. We are financially sound and insured, but with lower fees and better rates!
You are eligible to join Atlantic Financial Federal Credit Union (AFFCU) if you are:
- Employed by, a retired employee of, and/or volunteer (where applicable) of an approved Select Employee Group (SEG) affiliated with AFFCU.
- A family member -- defined as spouses, children, sisters, brothers, grandparents, step-relatives, and adoptive children -- of people employed or volunteering at an approved Select Employee Group (SEG) affiliated with AFFCU. Partners living within the same household sharing in the economic responsibilities of that household are also eligible to join.
- Qualify as a volunteer/donor of our affiliated SEG associations, by making a qualifying donation to either: Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Maryland, Komen Maryland, or United Way of Central Maryland.
Once you become a member, you're a member for life, regardless of job or life changes.*